Wednesday, September 7, 2011

“WTF (What the font?!”)

It’s about that time….. I have begun the process of reorganizing and structuring my portfolio and boy what a task. So the first thing I thought about is color, and after that I immediately thought about what font to choose. There are so many fonts to choose from and I have had a hard time deciding which fonts will be the best reflection of my personality and design style. I am getting a degree in interior design, not graphic design so with that being said I had to do some homework. I spent some time looking for information in a few of my textbooks and online about portfolio design and geez I didn’t realize how crucial it is to make sure you pick the right ones. I know font’s important and it needs to be legible but I must say, I am a little smarter now! I didn’t know there were different typeface categories: Oldstyle, Modern, Slab Serif, San Serif, Fringe, Script, and Decorative. Serif fonts generally have a thick/thin contrast in their structures whereas san serif fonts are mono weight.
 I selected three fonts, two serifs and one from the sans serif family. This will allows for a nice contrast. Sans serif fonts tend to strain the eye so the most appropriate way to use this is for titles, headings, and short passages. So I chose Gotham and Rotis fonts to be used interchangeably for my headings and quotes and I chose Didot for my text. I think these three fonts are meaningful to my style and personality.  Gotham is sophisticated with clean lines and Rotis is funky and looks good in a large font. I chose Didot for my body of text because it looks modern and dramatic. These are a reflection of how I want my design to be perceived. I have been on the hunt to discover who I am as a designer and what my design aesthetic is and I have come to realize that I am eclectic. I like these shades of blue, green, and yellow.  I like to mix and mingle with them all!!!







               
Here are a few helpful hints that I learned from my readings:
·         Look for typefaces that look good together and try mixing serif and sans serif faces that relate to each other.
·         A clear differentiation between all the elements of type this is achieved by creating contrast through the relative relationships of size, weight, structure, form, direction, and color. A reader should never have to try to figure out what is happening on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment