Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A working progress....



When I tell people I’m in school getting a degree to become an interior designer, many people (adults and young people) respond saying, “Oh, how cool, I wish I was doing what you’re doing...it looks so fun.” Or, “I like decorating my room n stuff; you should come over and take a look!” Or, “Hmm we should have you over and come give us some decorating tips, my house could sure use it.” So - I thought it’d be fun to share with you my main concerns that I try to educate people on daily. These are the two most common misconceptions about being an interior designer that I have encountered. Enjoy!

Myth #1:  An interior designer is the same as an interior decorator.   
Reality:  It is not necessary for an interior decorator to receive formal training to do the job because they focus mainly on the aesthetic and are not concerned things such as building exteriors or structures, however interior designer are. Interior designers are distinguished because they must go through formal educational training at a university and obtain a bachelor’s degree which provide them with the foundation and understanding of architectural plans, safety, building codes, and proper selection of materials and fabrics.  After graduating one must go through another process to become a licensed Interior Designer.  

Myth #2.  Designers sit around and play with fabric all day and fluff pillows.
Reality: I wish! Lol, not!! Designers do a whole lot more than that, and it’s sad and frustrating that people don’t realize it. According to the bureau of labor statistics an Interior Designer draw upon many disciplines to enhance the function, safety, and aesthetics of interior spaces. Their main concerns are with how different colors, textures, furniture, lighting, and space work together to meet the needs of a building's occupants (client). Designers plan interior spaces of every type of building, including offices, airport terminals, theaters, shopping malls, restaurants, hotels, schools, hospitals, and private residences. Good design can boost office productivity, increase sales, attract a more affluent clientele, provide a more relaxing hospital stay, or increase a building's market value.
            See, I told you there’s a lot more to it than what meets the eye. I will continue on my quest to educate those around me about the profession because I want everyone to know and understand who we are and what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment