Friday, September 30, 2011

Team Dynamics

       
I was recently involved in a group project and now that it’s over I am happy. However, I realize that working in groups is something that I will be doing for a large majority of my career. I don’t mind groups, in fact I actually like them, but what I don’t understand is why it is so hard for people to work together in a team? We have be working in groups and doing team projects since we were little kids, yet very few people really understand how to be a "team player". There are those who are too pushy and then you have that person who could care less and will just do enough to get by. One of my biggest fears is to work for a firm where the people don't work well together and the team dynamics are poor. It's so important to understand how to work in a group environment especially if your job profession will require it.
         I can recall several times how I felt when I was working in groups that were in utter chaos. I was so frustrated and didn't even want to participate. Inconsiderate people annoy me, especially those who think that only their ideas are important and worth discussing. I have been involved in various organizations and have had ample time to see myself in action.
Typically I am the one who initiates things and get the ball rolling, but I make a conscious effort to include everyone and make sure we are all on the same page. I believe everyone’s thoughts are important, no matter how big or small and I like for everyone to feel included. This is important when working with other people.
Even though working in teams can be frustrating, when you have a great team they can be very beneficial. More resources are available and groups are able to complete larger scale projects. Groups work also leads to more diverse solutions. Two heads are better than one! Another plus to working in groups is that it’s easier to detect flaws and catch mistakes. What you may miss, someone else might see. Groups and teams also provide an even greater understanding of what needs to be done. Everyone will have their interpretation of what needs to be done and how to do it, but if you put them all together you can learn more from listening to other peoples perspectives and then apply what works best. It is also a great way to hone communication skills. Discussions and active listening aid to the success of being a better communicator.
All in all, like I said, working in groups doesn’t have to have such a negative connotation if everyone would be mindful that it’s a group and everyone has a voice. Everyone has ideas and they should be taken into consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment